There are a number of different causes of leaky showers and determining the root of the problem can help you fix it effectively and prevent it happening again in the future. Leaking showers are very common and if left untreated can lead to extensive long term water damage. If your shower is leaking it could be due to one or more of the below reasons:
- Building movement including expansion and contraction of walls which can lead to cracks in tiles and grout and even damage the waterproof membrane beneath them.
- Plumbing issues can cause water to leak out of pipes, particularly if the connections are not properly done or there are cracks.
- Cracked tiles can lead to water seeping out and causing damage underneath.
- Missing grout can be caused by general wear and tear, building movement and abrasive cleaning chemicals and can lead to leakage.
- Faulty drain connections from pipes not being connected properly which can lead to water leaking through to the area beneath the drain.
Even a small leak in your shower or anywhere else in the bathroom can lead to long term damage if left for long enough. If you have noticed a water leak in your shower or a problem with mould or damp in the bathroom it is essential to determine the cause and make sure you tackle the problem sooner rather than later.